How do I register as a substitute teacher in Marin County?
Thank you for your interest in substitute teaching in Marin County. We appreciate your desire to
become part of the highly-valued Marin County Office of Education substitute teacher pool serving students countywide.
This page is designed to give you information regarding the general policies and procedures relating to your substitute teaching employment in Marin County. We have tried to anticipate your questions in order to assist you in the successful completion of your credentialing requirements and Marin County Office of Education and school district registrations.
In order to register as a substitute teacher there are a few steps you will need to take. Please follow the instructions below.
Also feel free to attend one of our optional New Substitute Teacher Information meetings held every Monday, except holidays.
Time: Mondays from 10:00-11:00 am, except holidays (See dates below)
Place: The Marin County Office of Education
1111 Las Gallinas Ave.
San Rafael, CA 94903
- January 9th, 23rd, and 30th
- February 6th, 13th, and 27th
- March 6th, 13th, 20th, and 27th
- April 3rd, 10th, 17th, and 24th
- May 1st, 8th, 15th, 22nd, and 29th
- June 5th, 12th, 19th, and 26th
If you are unable to attend one of our optional meetings, please follow the instructions below:
Please note YOU MUST MAKE AN APPOINTMENT and file all your initial paperwork with the Credentials Analyst at the Marin County Office of Education. ALL documents must be in hand and Live Scan/fingerprinting completed before an appointment can be scheduled.
You will need a valid California teaching credential or permit (if you already have a valid California teaching credential or simply need to renew a expired credential please skip to Step 2). If you do not have a valid credential, you will need to apply for an Emergency 30-Day Substitute Permit. To do so requires the following:
· Official, sealed transcripts showing the conferral of a baccalaureate degree or higher
· Meet the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing Basic Skills Requirement. This can be
done by taking the CBEST exam and providing copies of your CBEST scores with your application.
Please click on the following link for testing information :
· Criminal Background Clearance (LIVESCAN/electronic fingerprinting) for the CTC.
* You will need to take the following form with you to Live Scan
* (FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION PLEASE READ LIVE SCAN SECTION BELOW)
· An application processing fee of $100.
PLEASE NOTE if you are a current STUDENT TEACHER in a Marin County Public School, you do not need to LiveScan again for the CTC. However, you will need to LiveScan for the Marin County Office of Education. In California it is prohibited by law for agencies to share confidential LiveScan (electronic fingerprint) results with other agencies. Even if you provided a LiveScan for the district you are student teaching for, to substitute teach in Marin County Public Schools you must have fingerprint clearance on file with the Marin County Office of Education as well.
You will need a Substitute Teacher Identification Verification issued through the Marin County Office of Education. This requires ALL of the following:
· A valid California teaching authorization (SEE STEP 1)
· Criminal Background Clearance (LiveScan/fingerprinting) for the Marin County Office of
Education. Districts CANNOT share LiveScan results. To substitute teach in Marin County
Public Schools you must have fingerprint clearance on file with BOTH the CTC and
the Marin County Office of Education.
* You will need to take the following form with you to Live Scan appointment:
(FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION PLEASE READ LIVE SCAN SECTION BELOW)
- A complete substitute registration packet: Click here 2016-2017 Sub Registration Packet
* Print, fill out and bring with it with you for processing during your appointment at the Credentials Office.
· Proof of freedom from tuberculosis (SEE TB INFORMATION BELOW)
· Proof of Measles Immunization by submitting one of the following documentation:
* A copy of government issued documentation (e.g., birth certificate, passport, driver’s license)
affirming date of birth prior to 1957; or
* Documented laboratory confirmation of immunity to Measles -Rubeola by attaching titer test
laboratory results from a licensed health care provider; or
* Documented proof (official immunization record) of having at least one (1) dose of the
You may have the MMR Vaccine administered at the Marin County Immunization Clinic or
go to a licensed health care provider.
how to meet this requirement.
OPTIONAL: If you are interested in substitute teaching in Marin County Office of Education Moderate/Severe Special Education, Alternative Education and Regional Occupational Programs, please print and submit the following additional documents with your registration packet:
You must file all your initial paperwork with the Credentials Analyst at the Marin County Office of Education. (Appointments highly recommended)
Once you have completed Steps 1 and 2, please contact Amy Ridings in the Credentials Office 48-72 hours after your LiveScan appointment at 415.499.5863 to schedule an appointment in order to 1) apply for a permit and/or 2) to process your paperwork and register as a substitute in Marin County.